Board of Directors
Dr. Philip W Cooper Jr
Board of Directors – President
Dr. Philip W. Cooper, Jr.
Office 912 234-5003
Dr. Philip W. Cooper, Jr. is a native of Savannah, Georgia. He is a graduate of Meharry Medical College – School of Dentistry. In addition to practicing dentistry, he is the Co-Founder and Chief Investigator for Smiles Are Meaningful, Inc., a research organization whose focus is the impact of Sleep Apnea on growth and development in African American Children. Dr. Cooper taught in the public schools of North Carolina, and at Armstrong State College (Armstrong Atlantic State University), in Savannah. He has conducted seminars for school districts, including pre-k and the elementary grades, child care centers, and community groups in the areas of Sleep Apnea and Cognitive Development. Dr. Cooper is the author of the 2009 book, WHY? AFRICAN AMERICAN CHILDREN CAN NOT READ, which emphasizes the impact of Sleep Apnea on children’s ability to learn to read. Cooper has presented and served as keynote speaker for multiple audiences on the subject of Healthcare Disparities and Learning Disabilities – The New Frontier, Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Brain Development inclusive of;
- Alabama State Pre-K Conference
- Chatham Association of Educators
- Chatham Association of Retired Educators
- Georgia Dental Society
- Georgia Association of Educators
- Georgia State Medical Association
- Glynn County (Georgia) Public School System
- Mitchell County (Georgia) Public School System – Professional Development
- National Black Child Development Institute Annual Conference
- City of Savannah, Moses Jackson Advancement Center
- National Medical Association
- Savannah Youth Futures Authority Children’s Summit
- Savannah-Chatham County Public School System – Parent University – Pre-K and High School Teacher Orientation Sessions
- State of Georgia Title I Directors Conference
- Wayne State University Institute for the Study of the African American Child Conference on Research Directions
Lincoln Dental Society – Chicago, IL.
- North Dallas Hispanic Dental Association, Dallas, TX.
- Angel Dental Society – Los Angeles, California
- Economic Opportunity Authority, Professional Development Conference, August, 2012
- Speaker, The Neurological impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnea On Brain Development. Sponsored by The American Association Of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry, Oakland, California, June 14, 20013.
- Featured Speaker, Neurobehavioral Implications of Sleep Disordered Breathing, Gulf State Dental Association. Sponsored by The Appliance Therapy Group’s – Smile Foundation. Huston, Texas June 2, 2013
- Featured Speaker, NYU College Of Dentistry Alumni Association 2nd Annual Symposium. Sponsored by The New York State Association of Pediatric Dentists and the New York School of Dentistry Department of Pediatrics. The topic: Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Pediatric Oral Health, New York September 22, 2012.
- Speaker, The Silent Airway Problem that can Impact a Child’s Brain Development Symposium. Sponsored by the American Association of Physiological Medicine & Dentistry. Topic: Neurological Implications of Sleep Disordered Breathing, New York October 6, 2012
- Speaker, MultipleCare Pathways : Sleep Disorder Breathing Conference. Sponsored by the ACADEMY OF CILNICAL SLEEP DISORDERES DISCIPLINES, Phoenix, Arizona, October 20, 2012.
- Trainer, Health Care Ambassadors, National Baptist Convention, Project H.O.P.E. Sponsored by the National Baptist Convention, USA, INC., Atlanta, Georgia, September 4, 2012
- Trainer, Health Care Ambassadors, National Baptist Convention, Project H.O.P.E. Sponsored by the National Baptist Convention, USA, INC., Saint Louis, Missouri June 18, 2012.
Currently, Dr. Cooper is developing the Oral Health Tool Kit for the U.S. Department Of Health and Human Services Tri-Regional Faith Based Community Health Summit, the Chatham-Savannah Promise Neighborhood Collaboration, and State of Georgia Department of Human Services/Annie E. Casey Foundation, Incorporated – Reading at Grade Level by Third Grade Initiative.
Professionally, Dr. Cooper is a member of the National Dental Association, American Association of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry, American Academy of Sleep Disorders Discipline, International Association for Orthodontics, American Association for Functional Orthodontics, Mid-American Orthodontic Society, American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Appliance Therapy Practitioners Association, The Academy of Clinical Sleep Disorder Disciplines and a registered Sleep Group Solutions Center.
Dr. Cooper is the Clinical Director of Coastal Sleep Solutions, a dental clinical practice devoted to treating Sleep apnea patients who are CPAP intolerant and pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome patients. He is a member of the California based Smile Foundation Lecture Faculty and has presented at multiples venues on the ” The Role of the Dentist in Sleep Medicine” and “Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea”. He is also a Board Member of American Association of Physiological Medicine & Dentistry.
He is a member of the National Black Child Development Institute, a number of other health and education focused organizations.
Dr. Cooper is past Chairman of the Board of Directors of the West Broad Street YMCA, on the Board of Directors of The Goodness and Mercy Foundation – Hands Across Africa and served as a volunteer on the Medical Team that has completed multiple mission trips to Ghana and Nigeria, Africa. Dr. Cooper is committed to helping youth develop to their greatest potential, educationally, socially, mentally and physically, as is evidenced by his membership and leadership on the boards of several child and youth-serving organizations.
Vice – President
Board of Director’s Vice – President
John A, Mitchell III, M.H.S. is a program developer and grant writing professional who has mastered the evaluation process. As the CEO-President of the Midnight Basketball Education-Employment Enrichment Program in Indianapolis, John Mitchell is both diligent and committed to his profession as a Certified Human Services Professional. With 20 years of experience, he protects the rights of clients and their families and communities.
In addition to providing programming, Mitchell is active in educational programming that reduces the risk placed on our children and society, when we fail them. Mitchell is an anti-bullying presenter and advocate for better policies and regulations for disadvantaged students. In 2013, He assisted over 1800 individuals with employment and educational pursuits.
Mitchell is a member of Kappa Apha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated and is a recent National Honor Society Member. He was intern of the year for his graduate school class and has established himself as a self-starter and leader through his community enhancing programming and scholarship initiatives. In his spare time, Mitchel enjoys golfing and spending time with family and friends during his off time.
Mitchell has over 20 years of grant writing, researching, fund raising, and evaluation experiences. He also is an avid fund raising event coordinator and HBCU retention specialist. We have to become what we are seeking.
Margaret Reid is an agent with New York Life Insurance Company. Margaret has been in insurance sales for the past two years. Her longest work history was with TRW Rack and Pinion Division. Margaret graduated from Mount Olive College in 1998 with a Bachelors degree in Business Administration and Management and Organizational Development. She completed her Christian studies at Christian Life School of Theology where she graduated with a Doctorate of Divinity in 2009.
Margaret has been a member of Anointed One’s Ministry International for 30 years. Along with many other responsibilities within the Ministry Margaret serves as Coordinator for the Midnight Basketball League. Margaret resides in Greenville North Carolina where she enjoys being a part of the quaint southern environment.
Antonio L. McGinnis
Antonio L. McGinnis is a native of Huntsville Alabama. He is married to Mitzi Wade McGinnis and together they have three sons Kendall, AJ
After graduating from Butler High School in 1991 he went on to attend Texas A&M University where he received a Bachelors of Science degree in Journalism. While attending Texas A&M he was a member of the Men’s Basketball team where he lettered four years and in his senior year was selected as a member of the Southwestern Conference
In June of 2012 he
Tony is the former Head coach of the Oakwood University men’s basketball team. In 2012 he led his team to the United States Collegiate Athletic Association championship becoming the third coach in the state of Alabama to win a collegiate national championship in basketball. He is a published author. His first book is entitled “The Game is Deep” this is a book geared to help athletes, parents, coaches
National Board Member and Austin’s Midnight Basketball League Program Director, Mrs. Vanessa McQueen – Silas, was Recognized by Members of Delta Beta Chapter, National Sorority of Phi Delta Kappa, Inc. for Community Service. , (2016)
Using her Business Management Education from St. Edwards University Mrs. Silas has served as General Manager of the Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex for the past 17 years. She is a George Washington Carver Museum Ambassador and the Board Chair of Athletes Services Network America.
Captain, San Francisco Fire Department
Mr. John Cavanaugh has a long history of community service; volunteering as a youth advisor and coaching from grade school age children to varsity high school. Since 1989 he has been involved in emergency services. Currently he is a paramedic captain for the San Francisco Fire Department and is adjunct faculty at City College of San Francisco teaching in the department of healthcare technology. John is a founding member of the San Francisco Scared Stiff youth violence prevention program and instructor for the San Francisco Chapter of U.S. Crisis Care. These important programs work to improve the lives of youth in the community and provide support during times of crisis. John completed his undergraduate studies in leadership, Master’s degree in security management, and currently is a Ph.D. candidate studying business administration. He is dedicated to working with the AMBLP chapters and the Board of Directors to continue the fine tradition of service to the youth of our communities.
Eric M. Canson
CEO and Producer
Point Perspective Designs, LLC
Canson is a pioneer in the innovative use of computer graphics in three-dimensional design, construction documentation, renderings and animated videos.
With over 35+ years of experience, he has been recognized in S.F. Bay Area and the greater Phoenix, AZ. Working on numerous industry projects and is considered a creative visionary and industry leader within the commercial real estate development community.
Canson’s body of work, encompassing almost every type of commercial, institutional and custom residential projects, is continually recognized for design excellence.
Biggest challenge: “The workflow impact of the failing economy has been especially challenging. This has lead to the development and delivering creative marketing and technical solutions for live events.
Today we are a leading technical solutions and live-event production company, with a proven track record of event delivery in the greater Phoenix, AZ., and with goals for national growth.
As a full-service production company, our in-house team provides complete project management, custom design & building services, implementing the latest hardware and software technology, and high-quality audio-visual solutions to experiential, corporate and marketing events.
Canson understands the pressure of high-end corporate events, the fit and finish of exhibition build, the engagement needs of experiential events and the precision required for impactful product launches. He welcomes the technical challenge of any new type of project, event or installation.
Canson embraces what is most important, while continuing to do what is best for family and business, that is to work hard and anticipate our growing evolution.”
Best advice to offer: “Be honest, sincere and hardworking — great core values. In addition, most clients are looking for innovation and creativity.”
His family roots are in S.F. Bay Area, born and raised. While attending middle school is where he met his lovely future wife to be. Married for over 32 years we currently lives in valley of the sun. Phoenix, AZ.
CEO and Producer
Executive Producer January 1984 to Present
- Established Fernbacher Productions in 1984 producing all kinds of multi-media support from large corporate events, video production, sound mixing, animation, concerts for large rock n’ roll bands and beyond.
- Managed a staff up to a dozen full-time people as well as freelancers on domestic and international shows from ten people to more than a hundred support staff at any one time.
TV News October 1981 to December 1983
- Worked at NBC San Francisco producing and writing for network television, as well as working on sporting events and the assignment desk.
Political Staff Fall 1978, Summer 1979 & Summer 1984
- Worked in 1978 & 1979 in Washington DC for Congressman Morris Udall and the House Interior Committee.
- Managed the 1980 Democratic Press Corp needs and requests in New York City at Madison Square Garden.
- Stage Manager for the 1984 Democratic Convention in San Francisco at the Moscone Center
University of Missouri
- Master of Arts, Broadcast News
University of California, Berkeley
- Bachelor of Science, International Relations
District of Washington, DC
- Congressional Intern, Political Science
- Working knowledge of multi-media such as videography, editorial, animation, photography, staffing, coordination, scenics, pyrotechnics and more.
- Interests include basketball, tennis, skiing, golf, hiking and international travel
The Honorable Judge Walter C. Brandon, Jr.
Judge Brandon is a retired Associate Circuit Judge for the 20th Judicial Circuit, St. Clair County, State of Illinois. He was appointed in 1997, and served in this capacity for over 20 years.
After graduating from East St. Louis Senior High School, he continued to Illinois State University in Normal, Illinois where he received a Bachelor of Sciences in Political Sciences and a Master of Sciences in Criminal Justice. In 1988, he received a Jurist Doctorate from Southern University Law Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Judge Brandon learned a lot from his father, a former East St. Louis police lieutenant who influenced his career interests which include his service as: Assistant State’s Attorney; Assistant Public Defender; and principal in a major, medical malpractice law firm in southern Illinois. In the early 90s, Brandon founded his own private law practice. During this time, he was appointed by the township administrators to serve as corporate council for the township of Centreville, Illinois and he secured a contract to serve as Municipal Attorney for the City of East St. Louis, Illinois.
In 2008, Judge Brandon was appointed by the Governor of the State of Illinois to serve as a member of the Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice Advisory Board where he continues to serve. He has also been designated by the Administrative Office of Illinois Courts to serve as a lecturer in juvenile abuse, neglect and dependency and delinquency matters at the State of Illinois Judicial Education Conferences. Additionally, Brandon has been appointed to serve on the Alumni Board of Directors for his alma mater, Illinois State University.
Judge Walter Brandon Jr. maintains strong ties to the Metro-East through community engagement. Through the years, Brandon has been involved with the empowerment of youth through entities such as the Illinois State Bar Association Juvenile Justice Section Council, and the Big Brother-Big Sister Organization. Concerned with the plight of youth in the Metro-East area, Brandon established St. Clair County’s first Midnight Basketball League to offer area youth a late-night alternative. Brandon is an active member of the Nu Chi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., and in 2016, Brandon became an executive board member of the Boy Scouts of America, Greater St. Louis Area Council.
Judge Brandon has had the opportunity to share his wealth of knowledge as Adjunct Professor at Harris Stowe State University in St. Louis, Mo. He’s also served as an Adjunct Professor at Lindenwood University at their Belleville, Illinois campus, where he lectured on the administration of juvenile justice.
Judge Brandon is a member of St. Paul Baptist Church in East St. Louis, Illinois where he leads a weekly men’s bible class. He also serves at Parkside Area Christian Church where he leads a new-member class, and serves as the Director of the Media Ministry.
Close to Judge Brandon’s heart are his family and friends who offer loving support and encouragement for his endeavors. His maxim is “enjoy life every day”.
Born in New Jersey and raised in San Francisco, Keith is currently a Job Developer with the Mayor’s Office of Economic Workforce Development. Most previously He worked at the Aerial Beacon as its Senior Project Executive. Aerial Beacon is a company that flies aerial banners over the populous. Keith handled the Super Bowl 50 accounts.
Keith Hazell has been a 25 year Social Service Specialist. He’s worked primarily with at-risk youth and adults in San Francisco and Oakland.
A former Professional Basketball player with stops in Argentina, France and Germany. Keith also has worked as a Marketing Director for several businesses including a sports apparel company (Fundamental Athlete), a Sports Ultra lounge ( Fanatics Sports Entertainment Complex), and a music entertainment showcase (J’La Chic). Keith Was the President of Basketball Operations for the Richmond Rockets a pro basketball team in the American Basketball Association.
He is a successful Logo Designer and portrait artist, and as a Producer he’s created countless entertainment events including concerts, fashion shows and stand-up comedy in the Bay Area he is a natural with public speaking.
Keith graduated from Galileo HS. In San Francisco. He attended City College of San Francisco and San Francisco State University and Graduated from New College of California. Keith is a member of The Sports Hall of Fame at both GHS and SFSU for Basketball and Track & Field
- Bachelor of Arts Degree Humanities w/emphasis on Sport in Society New College of California
- Marketing Director/Chief media Spokesman -Fanatics Sports Entertainment Complex
- Marketing Director -Ja La Chic Entertainment
- Comedy/Entertainment Producer– KH Diversified Entertainment
- Social Work Administrator/Youth Development Director – Youth Opportunities! SF Dept of Labor
- Interim Executive Director Youth Opportunities! Oakland
- Job Developer /Placement Supervisor – Office of Economic Workforce Development
- Case Manager, Councilor, at risk youth / mentally disabled adults (various non-profit organizations)
- Sports apparel Designer –Fundamental Athlete Apparel
- Freelance Logo Designer– notable client- New College of California
- President of Basketball Operations– Richmond Rockets -American Basketball Association
- Professional Basketball Player 7 seasons Argentina, Germany, France
- Head Coach SF Dream Team San Francisco Pro/Am 5 seasons
- Hall of Fame San Francisco State University Basketball
- Hall of Fame Galileo HS Track & Field and Basketball
- Board of Directors– Project Reconnect- Oakland Ca
- Board of Directors– Overcomers With Hope- Oakland Ca
- Board of Directors – National Midnight Basketball Association
My name is Talya Huntley. I am a native of Vicksburg, MS. While in Mississippi I attend early elementary, middle, high schools and college. Currently, I reside in Northern. I moved to California in July 2004. I am a single parent of two sons.
In my professional career, I serve as the Dean/Head Counselor for middle school grades six through eight. I’ve served as a panelist for expulsion hearings, attendance hearings and student counseling conferences. I am the sponsor for Black Student Union on my school campus. I fellowship at San Francisco Christian Center.
I support and volunteer with several sports’ community-based organizations. I’ve partnered with San Francisco Unified School District’s Mentoring Program.
Education & Credentials
B.A., Alcorn State University, Mass Communications, Journalism Emphasis, 1999; also serving as Miss Mass Communications 1999
M.A., Secondary Education, (Teaching Credential and School Counseling Credential) 2001
Ed.D., Educational Leadership, Northcentral University San Diego, CA, 2019
Dr. Cassandra Conover
National Consultant for AMBLP
“I am the Senior Female Commonwealth Attorney For Petersburg, Virginia and I am the Senior Female Black District Attorney in the United States,,” she said.
Dr. Cassandra Conover retired from the Petersburg, Virginia Commonwealth Attorney’s
Office in 2017.
She also received her second Doctorate Degree in 2019.
Reverend Victor A. Travis
National Chaplin for AMBLP
The Reverend Victor A. Travis is currently the proud Pastor and CEO of First C.M.E Church of Modesto, California. Reverend Travis and his wife, Jasiman, were married on August 16, 2008 at Amos Temple C.M.E. Church, in Oakland. They have three children; two sons, Victor, Jr., Zacharias and a daughter, Zariah.
Reverend Travis was a probation counselor at Contra Costa County Juvenile Hall, in Martinez, and at Byron’s Boys Ranch in Byron, California. There he performed correctional officer duties to approximately 200 troubled, incarcerated youth. He later became a mental health worker for Haight Ashbury Free Clinic’s Jail Psychiatric Services, in San Francisco, California. Currently, and over the past 14 years, he serves as health educator for San Francisco County’s Community Health Programs for Youth.
Reverend Travis is a musician and he still plays the keyboards and organ at his church, while still pastoring. Most important, he is a gospel preacher. In November, 1998, he accepted his call to the ministry at the Grace Temple Missionary Baptist Church, in Oakland. In November, 2000, he was ordained and continued to serve in the ministry at Grace Temple Missionary Baptist Church.
During the summer of 2001, God led Reverend Travis to join Bell Chapel C.M.E. Church, in San Francisco. In August, 2005, he was ordained Traveling Deacon, and in August, 2008, he was ordained Traveling Elder, both ordinations under Bishop Henry M. Williamson, Sr., at the Northern California Region’s Annual Conferences. In July of 2014, he was ordained “Full Connection” in the C.M.E. Church by Presiding Prelate Bishop Bobby R. Best. Prior to being appointed as pastor of First C.M.E. Church in the summer of 2012, Reverend Travis served as Assistant Pastor of Riley Chapel C.M.E. Church in Oakland, California from 2006-2012. Reverend Travis also served at Bell Chapel C.M.E. Church, in San Francisco, California and Lewis Memorial C.M.E Church, in San Jose, California as both minister and musician.