Board of Directors
The Board of Directors consists of individuals, who volunteer their time to oversee the policies and procedures of AMBLP Inc. This committed group has roots in the public and private sector, in areas such as business, law, education, social/human services, and transportation.
Board of Directors – President
Dr. Philip W Cooper Jr
Board of Directors – President
Dr. Philip W. Cooper, Jr.
Office 912 234-5003
Dr. Philip W. Cooper, Jr. is a native of Savannah, Georgia. He is a graduate of Meharry Medical College – School of Dentistry. In addition to practicing dentistry, he is the Co-Founder and Chief Investigator for Smiles Are Meaningful, Inc., a research organization whose focus is the impact of Sleep Apnea on growth and development in African American Children. Dr. Cooper taught in the public schools of North Carolina, and at Armstrong State College (Armstrong Atlantic State University), in Savannah. He has conducted seminars for school districts, including pre-k and the elementary grades, child care centers, and community groups in the areas of Sleep Apnea and Cognitive Development. Dr. Cooper is the author of the 2009 book, WHY? AFRICAN AMERICAN CHILDREN CAN NOT READ, which emphasizes the impact of Sleep Apnea on children’s ability to learn to read. Cooper has presented and served as keynote speaker for multiple audiences on the subject of Healthcare Disparities and Learning Disabilities – The New Frontier, Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Brain Development inclusive of;
- Alabama State Pre-K Conference
- Chatham Association of Educators
- Chatham Association of Retired Educators
- Georgia Dental Society
- Georgia Association of Educators
- Georgia State Medical Association
- Glynn County (Georgia) Public School System
- Mitchell County (Georgia) Public School System – Professional Development
- National Black Child Development Institute Annual Conference
- City of Savannah, Moses Jackson Advancement Center
- National Medical Association
- Savannah Youth Futures Authority Children’s Summit
- Savannah-Chatham County Public School System – Parent University – Pre-K and High School Teacher Orientation Sessions
- State of Georgia Title I Directors Conference
- Wayne State University Institute for the Study of the African American Child Conference on Research Directions
Lincoln Dental Society – Chicago, IL.
- North Dallas Hispanic Dental Association, Dallas, TX.
- Angel Dental Society – Los Angeles, California
- Economic Opportunity Authority, Professional Development Conference, August, 2012
- Speaker, The Neurological impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnea On Brain Development. Sponsored by The American Association Of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry, Oakland, California, June 14, 20013.
- Featured Speaker, Neurobehavioral Implications of Sleep Disordered Breathing, Gulf State Dental Association. Sponsored by The Appliance Therapy Group’s – Smile Foundation. Huston, Texas June 2, 2013
- Featured Speaker, NYU College Of Dentistry Alumni Association 2nd Annual Symposium. Sponsored by The New York State Association of Pediatric Dentists and the New York School of Dentistry Department of Pediatrics. The topic: Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Pediatric Oral Health, New York September 22, 2012.
- Speaker, The Silent Airway Problem that can Impact a Child’s Brain Development Symposium. Sponsored by the American Association of Physiological Medicine & Dentistry. Topic: Neurological Implications of Sleep Disordered Breathing, New York October 6, 2012
- Speaker, MultipleCare Pathways : Sleep Disorder Breathing Conference. Sponsored by the ACADEMY OF CILNICAL SLEEP DISORDERES DISCIPLINES, Phoenix, Arizona, October 20, 2012.
- Trainer, Health Care Ambassadors, National Baptist Convention, Project H.O.P.E. Sponsored by the National Baptist Convention, USA, INC., Atlanta, Georgia, September 4, 2012
- Trainer, Health Care Ambassadors, National Baptist Convention, Project H.O.P.E. Sponsored by the National Baptist Convention, USA, INC., Saint Louis, Missouri June 18, 2012.
Currently, Dr. Cooper is developing the Oral Health Tool Kit for the U.S. Department Of Health and Human Services Tri-Regional Faith Based Community Health Summit, the Chatham-Savannah Promise Neighborhood Collaboration, and State of Georgia Department of Human Services/Annie E. Casey Foundation, Incorporated – Reading at Grade Level by Third Grade Initiative.
Professionally, Dr. Cooper is a member of the National Dental Association, American Association of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry, American Academy of Sleep Disorders Discipline, International Association for Orthodontics, American Association for Functional Orthodontics, Mid-American Orthodontic Society, American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Appliance Therapy Practitioners Association, The Academy of Clinical Sleep Disorder Disciplines and a registered Sleep Group Solutions Center.
Dr. Cooper is the Clinical Director of Coastal Sleep Solutions, a dental clinical practice devoted to treating Sleep apnea patients who are CPAP intolerant and pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome patients. He is a member of the California based Smile Foundation Lecture Faculty and has presented at multiples venues on the ” The Role of the Dentist in Sleep Medicine” and “Pediatric Obstructive Sleep Apnea”. He is also a Board Member of American Association of Physiological Medicine & Dentistry.
He is a member of the National Black Child Development Institute, a number of other health and education focused organizations.
Dr. Cooper is past Chairman of the Board of Directors of the West Broad Street YMCA, on the Board of Directors of The Goodness and Mercy Foundation – Hands Across Africa and served as a volunteer on the Medical Team that has completed multiple mission trips to Ghana and Nigeria, Africa. Dr. Cooper is committed to helping youth develop to their greatest potential, educationally, socially, mentally and physically, as is evidenced by his membership and leadership on the boards of several child and youth-serving organizations.
Board of Director’s Vice – President
Board of Director’s Vice – President
John A, Mitchell III, M.H.S. is a program developer and grant writing professional who has mastered the evaluation process. As the CEO-President of the Midnight Basketball Education-Employment Enrichment Program in Indianapolis, John Mitchell is both diligent and committed to his profession as a Certified Human Services Professional. With 20 years of experience, he protects the rights of clients and their families and communities.
In addition to providing programming, Mitchell is active in educational programming that reduces the risk placed on our children and society, when we fail them. Mitchell is an anti-bullying presenter and advocate for better policies and regulations for disadvantaged students. In 2013, He assisted over 1800 individuals with employment and educational pursuits.
Mitchell is a member of Kappa Apha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated and is a recent National Honor Society Member. He was intern of the year for his graduate school class and has established himself as a self-starter and leader through his community enhancing programming and scholarship initiatives. In his spare time, Mitchel enjoys golfing and spending time with family and friends during his off time.
Coordinator for the Midnight Basketball League
Margaret Reid is an agent with New York Life Insurance Company. Margaret has been in insurance sales for the past two years. Her longest work history was with TRW Rack and Pinion Division. Margaret graduated from Mount Olive College in 1998 with a Bachelors degree in Business Administration and Management and Organizational Development. She completed her Christian studies at Christian Life School of Theology where she graduated with a Doctorate of Divinity in 2009.
Margaret has been a member of Anointed One’s Ministry International for 30 years. Along with many other responsibilities within the Ministry Margaret serves as Coordinator for the Midnight Basketball League. Margaret resides in Greenville North Carolina where she enjoys being a part of the quaint southern environment.
Senior Paralegal, Oracle America, Inc.
AMBLP National Consultant
Cassandra Conover, Esq
National Consultant for AMBLP
Conover’s rise in Petersburg started as the 80’s were ending; she arrived in August 1989 and shortly after became the city’s first black public defender.
In September of 1990, the Commonwealth’s Attorney Position opened up and then she was appointed on May 15, 1991.
“I’m the senior female Commonwealth’s Attorney for Virginia and I’m the senior black district attorney, female district attorney in the United States,” she said.
AMBLP National Chaplin
Reverend Victor A. Travis
National Chaplin for AMBLP
The Reverend Victor A. Travis is currently the proud Pastor and CEO of First C.M.E Church of Modesto, California. Reverend Travis and his wife, Jasiman, were married on August 16, 2008 at Amos Temple C.M.E. Church, in Oakland. They have three children; two sons, Victor, Jr., Zacharias and a daughter, Zariah.
Reverend Travis was a probation counselor at Contra Costa County Juvenile Hall, in Martinez, and at Byron’s Boys Ranch in Byron, California. There he performed correctional officer duties to approximately 200 troubled, incarcerated youth. He later became a mental health worker for Haight Ashbury Free Clinic’s Jail Psychiatric Services, in San Francisco, California. Currently, and over the past 14 years, he serves as health educator for San Francisco County’s Community Health Programs for Youth.
Reverend Travis is a musician and he still plays the keyboards and organ at his church, while still pastoring. Most important, he is a gospel preacher. In November, 1998, he accepted his call to the ministry at the Grace Temple Missionary Baptist Church, in Oakland. In November, 2000, he was ordained and continued to serve in the ministry at Grace Temple Missionary Baptist Church.
During the summer of 2001, God led Reverend Travis to join Bell Chapel C.M.E. Church, in San Francisco. In August, 2005, he was ordained Traveling Deacon, and in August, 2008, he was ordained Traveling Elder, both ordinations under Bishop Henry M. Williamson, Sr., at the Northern California Region’s Annual Conferences. In July of 2014, he was ordained “Full Connection” in the C.M.E. Church by Presiding Prelate Bishop Bobby R. Best. Prior to being appointed as pastor of First C.M.E. Church in the summer of 2012, Reverend Travis served as Assistant Pastor of Riley Chapel C.M.E. Church in Oakland, California from 2006-2012. Reverend Travis also served at Bell Chapel C.M.E. Church, in San Francisco, California and Lewis Memorial C.M.E Church, in San Jose, California as both minister and musician.
AMBLP National Board Member
AMBLP Board Member
National Board Member and Austin’s Midnight Basketball League Program Director, Mrs. Vanessa McQueen – Silas, was Recognized by Members of Delta Beta Chapter, National Sorority of Phi Delta Kappa, Inc. for Community Service. , (2016)
Using her Business Management Education from St. Edwards University Mrs. Silas has served as General Manager of the Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex for the past 17 years. She is a George Washington Carver Museum Ambassador and the Board Chair of Athletes Services Network America.